Babblin' Bailey Babes

The Bailey Babes...gabbin' and blabbin' our way through the world...Loud and Proud!

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ

At the first Winter Fuel Group for Ignite, Jonathon handed out copies of John Piper's "Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ." This book is amazing! I love it! It is not very often that I enjoy reading, but this book is definitely one that I enjoy. In the very start of the book, John Piper writes 'A Word to the Reader' explaining his purpose for writing. There are two kinds of seeing. The first is physical sight, and the second is spiritual sight. When we see Christ with our spiritual eyes, we see the truth, beauty, and value of Christ. 'Savoring' is the response to truly seeing Christ for who He is. "When you see something as true and beautiful and valuable, you savor it...treasure it...cherish, admire, and prize it." When we truly see Jesus and all that He is, we will savor Him...cherish Him...and treasure Him above all other things.
That was just the introduction!!! Each chapter describes a different aspect of Jesus Christ. I have only read through chapter three.
Chapter One: Seeing and Savoring the Glory of God. The Ultimate Aim of Jesus Christ.
This chapter reminds us that the universe was created to show the glory of its maker; we were created to bring glory to God. Every tree, every flower, every mountain, each little bird and each human being was created to point back to the awesome wonder of God, the Creator. Our lives have a purpose: to glorify our great God. One quote from this chapter left a lasting impression on me because it is such a "duh" statement, yet it is something I have yet to get through my thick skull. "Indeed, what could be more ludicrous in a vast and glorious universe like this than a human being, on the speck called earth, standing in front of a mirror trying to find significance in his own self-image."
How many times a day do I think about my life, my problems, my hopes, my desires, my dreams, my future, my self, and try to make it so that I feel good. I think that if I make myself happy, if I meet my "needs" and fulfill my desires, that somehow my life will be good. How ludicrous! Why do our minds think this way? We have access to the almighty God, yet we still think about ourselves so much. It blows my mind!

I have a bunch of notes written out about the next two chapters, too, but I don't want to make this post unending. I definitely love the book, though. I am learning so much about the character of Jesus Christ, and being reminded of simple truths that I have learned about since I was a little girl. Jesus Christ is worthy of all praise and glory. Jesus is fully God; God the Father and God the Son are one. Also, chapter three describes the excellence of Christ. How awesome He is. He is a Holy and just God, full of righteousness and blameless perfection. He is just and fair...I think of our sin, my sin, and the rightful punishment. God is Holy and just and my sin cannot go unpunished. At the very same time, God is merciful and loving, full of compassion and forgiveness through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. These complete opposites meld together and form the very essence of our God! Jonathan Edwards describes it as the "Admirable Conjunction of Divine Excellencies." I want to see Christ and savor Him, cherish Him, and treasure Him above all else.

This is definitely a great book to read!

4 Comments:

  • At 12/24/2007 12:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    sounds like a great book. i haven't read it yet, but i'll certainly give it a strong consideration from your great recommendation!

     
  • At 12/24/2007 9:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sarah,

    Thanks for the commments on the book. It is a great read!! I am through chapter 7 now and hope to finish it over Christmas.

    My passion is ministry is to get people to fall so much in love with Jesus that they forget about themselves and radically live for the all-satsifying Christ!

    Thanks for the encouragement.

     
  • At 12/24/2007 4:37 PM , Blogger TaylorW said...

    Sarah, I love hearing/listening to your sincere thoughts.

    -I'm diving into this one right after I finish *The Pilgrim's Progress* by John Bunyan. (which means I will start it tomorrow!!!)

     
  • At 6/05/2008 1:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Savor? What is wrong with you people? Savor is a verb reserved for food and blow-jobs. You are so wack!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home